Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Pebble !

Lee Westwood finally wins in America and not before time. He is a good player, with a very simple and efficient swing, who hits a ton of fairways and sticks a lot of approaches close to the pin. It's Lee's putter that lets him down, but when he's rolling the pill well, lookout.

Any way, three of you guys had Westwood so the skinny moves to $60, the overall to $144 and we all owe $120. Rick holds $24 and Tony $204 (I think).

Well, it's another Major week and we finally get to what some call the most beautiful course in the world - not necessarily the best, but it's certainly beautiful. I love the US Open. As Jack says, they set up the course right on the edge of being playable & unplayable, sometimes going over that edge, like the final day at Shinnecock Hills in    2004.

While the US Open has the longest rough, the narrowest fairways, the fastest greens and the nastiest pin positions of all the Majors, it's the way it fucks with the player's mind that is what a US Open champion must overcome. Geoff Ogilvy gave us a window into that mindset, by saying that the US Open is the easiest major to win, because 75% of the field doesn't believe they can win it.

I think a large part of the attraction of US Opens for people like me is the way the Pro's ball finishes in the shit, just like mine does. In other words, we enjoy seeing the Pro go through the same mental anguish that we go through every Saturday or Wednesday at Long Reef.

There's not much I can tell you about the course or the history of this event. More often than not, true champions win the US Open rather than the one hit wonders.

I love it, I love it, I love it !

Good luck all!

The LRFG !

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Watching the open brings back great memories of the round I played there. I birdied 3,7,and 18 on that day off the blue markers.

TW